6.25.2005

when I am weak...

Last Sunday I was typing a paper when I was suddenly hit with the most remarkable pain in my left shoulder and back. My laptop typing had apparently thrown the worst possible kink into my back. The pain persisted into Monday and Tuesday... by Wednesday I was ready to just quit everything and sit (for the rest of my life) in the one position that didn't cause my pain. I couldn't even breath in without buckling over in pain. I think I might be a wuss. The events that followed confirmed that...

Ang knew the pain that I was feeling so she scheduled a massage for me. After the massage therapist had worked out the knots in my shoulder she left me to get my things together. When she came back into the room she brought with her some 'medical' advice/instructions for me.

"I noticed that your pecs are pretty weak and your back is overcompensating for them," she noted quite professionally.

Yeah... I didn't have much to say at that point.

"So I want you to do some push-ups..."

"Like 200 every day?" I ask.

"Like 10 wall push-ups," she added without cracking a smile. I think she was serious.

***

Those wall push-ups are tough. But I'm up to fifteen a day just three days in.

2 comments:

rob peoples said...

ryan - fear not because i am certain that if i went to this massage therapist she would certainly tell me that i am fat. can you believe that...me, fat?

what i was really going to say is that next time were are together i want to challenge you to a wall push up competition. so you better practice up!

Kate Rudd said...

umm...
hi. my name is katie, i'm 25 yrs old, and my mom does 100 more stomach crunches a day than me. and 5 more pushups.